Field engineer job description
A Field Engineer is a professional who is charged with managing technical functions and work schedules. They ensure client compliance with engineering projects while also testing equipment for efficiency in the workplace.
What is a field engineer?
Field engineers are engineering professionals who work mostly on site in different settings (e.g. construction sites, factories). They spend only a small percentage of their time at an office.
What does a field engineer do?
Field engineer duties usually include inspecting and installing equipment and new technologies, directing crews or workers on site, conducting research, and reporting on project status. Field engineers will make sure that everything works smoothly and engineering designs are being followed.
Field engineer responsibilities include:
- Conducting research on site
- Inspecting equipment and technologies
- Resolving onsite malfunctions
If you like this field engineer job description, check out the rest of our engineering job descriptions.
We are looking for a field engineer to inspect infrastructure and conduct research on site in order to solve problems quickly.
For this job, you need to have an engineering degree and be familiar with the technical aspects of machines, equipment, and technology used in different field projects. You should be an excellent problem-solver and be able to manage crises when they arise.
If you meet these requirements, and you’re also a superb communicator, we’d like to meet you.
- Communicate with clients to determine needs and explain complex issues
- Conduct research and studies on site
- Manage field activities and implement engineering designs
- Diagnose construction or machinery problems
- Resolve malfunctions or other crises when they arise
- Oversee repairs and technical improvements
- Install new systems and technology
- Inspect and test material and machinery for safety
- Ensure proper maintenance of onsite equipment
- Supervise and direct onsite crew (e.g. technicians)
- Draft and submit reports
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a field engineer or similar role
- Well-versed in technical aspects of field projects, including machinery and equipment
- Understanding of safety guidelines
- Attention to detail
- Outstanding communication skills
- An analytical mind and strong problem-solving ability
- Ability to work in adverse weather and occasional overtime and weekends
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Field Engineer do?
A Field Engineer ensures that all projects run smoothly, from installing equipment and new technologies to directing crews on site. They will also conduct their own research on their projects to keep their teams updated.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Field Engineer?
Field Engineers have many different day-to-day responsibilities, such as managing operations, overseeing repairs and maintenance work on-site or in the field, as well as generating reports for higher-ups. They may also be called upon to troubleshoot equipment problems.
What makes a good Field Engineer?
A good Field Engineer must have excellent technical skills, as they will be performing maintenance on different types of equipment. They must also have strong communication skills and pay meticulous attention to detail.
Who does a Field Engineer work with?
Typically, Field Engineers work with a team, but they may also work with other engineers, such as a Robotics Engineer, to research automation.
Hiring Field engineer job description
Post this Field engineer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.