This Director job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
- Reading scripts and developing storyboards
- Writing and editing scripts as needed
- Meeting the producers and preparing budget
We are looking for an experienced director to take overall responsibility for film and television show production.
As a director, you will lead the production team to direct full-length films, short films, live or recorded television programmes, commercials and music videos. You should be able to translate writers’ and producers’ visions into cohesive, marketable, entertaining and informative programs.
Ultimately, you should be able to make creative decisions that guide the rest of the team and enhance, refine and translate original ideas into finished programs.
- Read scripts and develop storyboards
- Write and edit scripts as needed
- Meet the producers and prepare budget
- Decide on filming locations
- Hire cast and crew
- Liaise with crew about technical requirements (e.g. lighting and camera movements, sound recording requirements, set dressing, vision effects and graphics and transitions)
- Prepare a carefully calculated shooting schedule ensuring deadlines and budget requirements are met
- Guide the production team ensuring all members are in sync with the program’s requirements
- Incorporate creative ideas to achieve the best possible visual result
- Supervise editing to make the final cut
- Ensure that the final program is faithful to the original concept
- Proven experience as a director
- Demonstrable portfolio of full-length or short films, videos or commercials
- Solid experience with digital technology and editing software packages
- In-depth understanding of the production process
- Familiarity with camera operation, sound systems, special effects and music editing
- Ability to lead and motivate
- Creativity and imagination
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Good people skills and ability to negotiate
- Time management and budget awareness
- BSc/BA in film studies, cinematography or relevant field; further training is a plus