This Data Scientist job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Data Scientist responsibilities include:
- Undertaking data collection, preprocessing and analysis
- Building models to address business problems
- Presenting information using data visualization techniques
We are looking for a Data Scientist to analyze large amounts of raw information to find patterns that will help improve our company. We will rely on you to build data products to extract valuable business insights.
In this role, you should be highly analytical with a knack for analysis, math and statistics. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for interpreting data. We also want to see a passion for machine-learning and research.
Your goal will be to help our company analyze trends to make better decisions.
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Data Scientist or Data Analyst
- Experience in data mining
- Understanding of machine-learning and operations research
- Knowledge of R, SQL and Python; familiarity with Scala, Java or C++ is an asset
- Experience using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau) and data frameworks (e.g. Hadoop)
- Analytical mind and business acumen
- Strong math skills (e.g. statistics, algebra)
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field; graduate degree in Data Science or other quantitative field is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Data Scientist do?
- Data Scientists use coding and other computer programming tactics to automate data collection and storage tasks. They may work closely with company departments or even create a system for storing collected information within their databases. Data Scientists help companies by providing them with valuable insights into how to improve their business operations.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Data Scientist?
- Data Scientists use programming to create automated systems for improving business operations. They gather and analyze raw data, transform it into a usable format, and collaborate with other departments on data usage, ensuring all activities comply with legal guidelines.
- What makes a good Data Scientist?
- Good Data Scientists are the bridge between business and data. They must have a deep technical understanding of how to communicate complex data in an accessible way while also having the ability to visualize their findings. A good data scientist will also possess excellent writing skills and analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Who does a Data Scientist work with?
- A Data Scientist typically works within an organization or business alongside a team of other Data Scientists to analyze various amounts of data. They may report their progress and findings to higher-ups, such as a Lead Data Scientist.