Criminal Investigator responsibilities include:
- Processing crime scenes by performing scene recognition, scene documentation and evidence collection
- Operating within the applicable laws governing the investigations
- Initiating preliminary survey, generating initial theories and keeping the ones that are not eliminated by incoming information
We are looking for a thorough Criminal Investigator to study crime scenes and identify the guilt of a criminal. You will collect evidence, search, interview, interrogate and apply various investigation methods. The successful candidate will be able to employ modern scientific techniques in order to determine and illuminate the truth about how a crime occurred.
- Process crime scenes by performing scene recognition, scene documentation and evidence collection
- Operate within the applicable laws governing the investigations
- Initiate preliminary survey, generate initial theories and keep the ones that are not eliminated by incoming information
- Thoroughly document scenes and gather potential evidences (physical, specimens, documents, photographs, statements etc) to send to crime lab
- Examine and evaluate evidence for conflicting interpretations and resolve issues
- Draft detailed investigative reports and be prepared to present evidence to the prosecutor
- Find that nuance or piece of information that will be the crucial break
- Identify, apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Criminal Investigator
- Hands-on experience with crime scenes analysis and forensic science
- Proficient in interpreting evidence and reconstructing events
- Ability to observe minute details and to produce detailed reports
- In depth knowledge of criminal law, rules and legislation
- Familiarity with all evidence types (e.g. circumstantial, direct, trace, hearsay etc) and the rules governing their admissibility
- Thorough understanding of the investigation process and the unique circumstances of each case
- Strong analytical skills along with good interviewing and interrogation skills
- Honest and ethical with high levels of integrity and confidentiality
- BS degree in forensic science, criminal law, criminology or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Criminal Investigator do?
Criminal Investigators investigate crimes and provide law enforcement with evidence that could lead to an arrest. A person who holds this job will collect any physical or electronic clues at crime scenes. Later on, during investigation periods, they try to gather information about what happened.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Criminal Investigator?
Criminal Investigators are responsible for collecting and analyzing evidence at crime scenes. In addition, they direct other law enforcement personnel there, so the information they provide can significantly impact cases that go to trial.
What makes a good Criminal Investigator?
Criminal Investigators must have excellent problem-solving skills. It is also essential for them to be easily adaptable to a range of environments, as Investigators work in various capacities, including working for federal agencies like the FBI.
Who does a Criminal Investigator work with?
A Criminal Investigator works with Police Officers, who often take and hold onto any evidence collected by the Investigator at a crime scene.