These Corporate Trainer Interview Questions can help you search for important corporate trainer skills among your candidates
Make sure that you are interviewing the best corporate trainers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Corporate Trainer Interview Questions
Corporate trainers help companies increase their productivity and efficiency through their employees’ development. They usually specialize in a particular field (if it’s technological they’re often called technical trainers).
A bachelor’s degree is mandatory while a graduate degree may be needed for higher level positions. Knowledge and experience are both of extreme importance. Be on the lookout for exceptional communicators who talk of their work with passion and enthusiasm. Ask them to explain difficult concepts to see if they can convey a message in a concrete way. Assess other core skills such as organizational ability or interpersonal skills through behavioral and situational questions. Make a point to ask about their familiarity with technology and how they use it in their job.
Job-specific questions will depend on whether you’re hiring a freelance corporate trainer for a certain period or someone for a full-time position. If the latter, ask questions about their knowledge of your company, their experience in the corporate environment and strategic acumen.
Related: How to hire freelancers
The best candidates will impress you with questions about your training needs, requirements and objectives. They’ll be ready to provide their insight and propose possible solutions.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you deal with an employee who doesn’t think your training session is worthwhile?
- People learn in different ways and with varying speeds. How would you ensure everyone in your program develops their skills?
- How would you conclude a training session?
- If I asked you to identify the training needs of the organization, where would you start?
- What methodologies do you use in training?
- What subject do you least enjoy teaching?
- Which subject do you teach more often?
- Give me an example of how you use technology in your job. What e-learning software do you prefer?
- How do you keep up with news and trends in employee training?
- How would you use the ADDIE/Kirkpatrick model?
- Do you have experience in training a trainer?
- Are you certified as a trainer?
- Give me an example of a successful training program you taught. What made it so successful?
- Walk me through the process of preparing a curriculum
- Recall a time you had disagreement with someone about the objectives of a training program. How did you resolve it?
- What’s your response to negative feedback?
- Describe some employee training methods that have worked well for you
- Tell me about a time your training didn’t have the good results you expected. What happened and what did you learn?
Pro tip: A good way to see the candidates in action is to ask them to prepare a presentation in advance. You can provide them with topics you want them to cover and give them your own specifications.