What is a chemist?
Chemists conduct experiments in labs in order to analyze substances, develop new products or improve existing ones. They may specialize in one or more areas, such as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry and biochemistry.
What does a chemist do?
If you’ve ever taken any kind of medicine or used a body lotion, you’ve personally seen the work of a chemist. But, a chemist’s job isn’t limited to pharmaceuticals and cosmetics. They also work in a wide range of industries such as energy, manufacturing and the food industry. They also work in R&D departments as chemist engineers or as teachers in educational institutions
But what exactly are the duties of a chemist? That usually depends on the exact role. In general, chemists analyze organic and inorganic compounds, refine substances and test chemical products. Their role is to improve the quality of products and procedures while ensuring safety.
Chemist duties include:
- Conducting experiments using proper lab equipment
- Preparing and testing solutions
- Analyzing and reporting on test results
We’re looking for a chemist to join our team and help us build safe, high-quality products. You will conduct various tests on chemical products, analyze their compounds and refine their composition.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need extensive knowledge of techniques like distillation, crystallization and titration and hands-on experience with spectrometers and chromatographers. You should also be comfortable writing technical reports and analyses of your findings.
If you enjoy spending most of your work time in a lab If you feel at home inside the lab and enjoy the thrill of experimentation, keeping great attention to substances, chemical reactions and temperatures, we’d like to hear from you.
- Prepare solutions by weighing ingredients and dissolving and diluting substances
- Analyze organic and inorganic compounds to determine their composition
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative experiments taking into account the volume and structure of ingredients
- Customize formulas and use different reagents to test chemical reactions
- Write technical reports of the test results
- Develop nonstandard tests for chemical products
- Maintain lab equipment and troubleshoot or report on malfunctions
- Refine chemical products to improve their quality
- Ensure compliance with laboratory health and safety guidelines
- Sterilize equipment and store materials in secure places
- Previous experience as a chemist
- Laboratory work is a plus
- Hands-on experience with spectrometry and chromatography instruments and techniques
- Good knowledge of laboratory health and safety standards
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Attention to detail
- BSc in Chemistry
- Additional certification (Master’s degree or a PhD) is a plus