This Lab Assistant job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages and easy to customise for your company.
What is a Lab Assistant?
A Lab Assistant is an individual who works in a laboratory setting and is responsible for performing laboratory tests, preparing samples, and producing accurate and reliable data. They work collaboratively with the lab team to ensure efficient operations and contribute to the collection of valid results.
What does a Lab Assistant do?
A Lab Assistant performs various tasks in a laboratory, including conducting laboratory tests during pre- and post-analytic phases, preparing samples or specimens, and interpreting the results. They follow established methodologies, adhere to procedures and safety guidelines, and maintain accurate records of their activities. Lab Assistants also stay updated with industry developments and best practices while providing administrative assistance and maintaining the work area and equipment.
Lab Assistant responsibilities include:
- Performing laboratory tests including pre- and post-analytic phases
- Preparing samples/specimens
- Producing accurate and reliable data and interpret results
We are seeking a responsible Lab Assistant to join our team and contribute to various laboratory tasks. Your role will involve performing sampling, testing, measuring, recording, and analyzing in collaboration with the rest of the lab team.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience working in a laboratory environment and a strong commitment to accuracy to ensure the extraction of reliable and valid results.
You will be responsible for following established protocols, maintaining meticulous records, and upholding safety guidelines.
Your attention to detail and ability to work effectively within a team will be essential in ensuring the smooth operation of our lab and the production of high-quality data.
- Perform laboratory tests including pre- and post-analytic phases
- Prepare samples/specimens
- Produce accurate and reliable data and interpret results
- Follow methodologies in carrying routine tasks
- Research relevant topics and gather information/data
- Adhere to correct procedures, policies and health/safety guidelines
- Keep abreast of all industry developments and best practices
- Document all activities, record results and insert/retrieve data
- Maintain work area and equipment
- Provide administrative assistance
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Lab Assistant
- Familiarity with automated laboratory equipment
- Computer literacy and experience with Laboratory Information Systems
- Accuracy and close attention to detail
- Strong analytical judgement
- Current licence or relevant certification
- BS degree in Medical Technology, Biology or related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Lab Assistant do?
- A Lab Assistant performs laboratory tests, prepares samples, and produces accurate data in cooperation with the lab team.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Lab Assistant?
- The duties of a Lab Assistant include conducting tests, preparing samples, interpreting results, following methodologies, adhering to procedures and safety guidelines, documenting activities, and maintaining equipment.
- What makes a good Lab Assistant?
- A good Lab Assistant has experience in a laboratory environment, demonstrates accuracy and attention to detail, possesses strong analytical judgment, and keeps up with industry developments and best practices.
- Who does a Lab Assistant work with?
- A Lab Assistant works with the rest of the lab team, including scientists, researchers, and other laboratory personnel.
- What skills should a Lab Assistant have?
- A Lab Assistant should have proven working experience, familiarity with laboratory equipment, computer literacy, accuracy, attention to detail, strong analytical judgment, and relevant certification or a degree in a related field.