This Pharmacy Technician job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Pharmacy Technician responsibilities include:
- Receiving prescriptions and checking their validity
- Processing prescriptions electronically and ensuring all information is complete and accurate
- Selecting the appropriate medicine and measuring dosages to fill prescriptions
We are looking for a dependable Pharmacy Technician that will process and fill prescriptions. You will also undertake other tasks under the direction of a pharmacist to provide excellent customer service and ensure the pharmacy runs smoothly.
As a pharmacy technician you must be detail-oriented and reliable since the job has high responsibility. You must possess excellent communication skills as well as aptitude in using computers.
- Sterilize surfaces and equipment and prepare the pharmacy for opening
- Greet customers and answer questions
- Receive prescriptions and check their validity
- Process prescriptions electronically and ensure all information is complete and accurate
- Resolve issues when they arise (e.g. rejected insurance claims)
- Select the appropriate medicine and measure dosages to fill prescriptions
- Sort, stock, label medication and monitor inventory
- Undertake administrative tasks (e.g.record-keeping) as assigned
- Comply with all security measures and quality standards
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as pharmacy technician
- Experience with an online prescription system is a plus
- Knowledge of medication and dosage measurement
- Knowledge of pharmacy law and medical terminology
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Reliable with a keen eye for detail
- Successful completion of a pharmacy technician program
- Certified Pharmacy technician is an asset
Frequently asked questions
What does a Pharmacy Technician Assistant do?
Pharmacy Technicians ensure that the medication is safe and effective for its intended use. They work closely with a pharmacist, locating medications in stock while following regulations to ensure accuracy; they also fill out insurance paperwork if necessary so patients can receive their prescriptions without any hassle or delay.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Pharmacy Technician Assistant?
A Pharmacy Technician’s duties and responsibilities vary, but generally, they fill bottles with prescribed medications, apply labels to medication bottles, collect payments from patients and keep a record of inventory. In addition, a large part of a Pharmacy Technicians’ duties is customer service which includes calling doctors for prescription refill authorizations, resolving customer concerns and handling issues that may arise with a patient’s insurance coverage.
What makes a good Pharmacy Technician?
A good Pharmacy Technician needs to have a service-oriented mindset with strong interpersonal skills, solid math and organizational capabilities. In addition, because Pharmacy Technicians work with the public, they need to listen and understand customers while maintaining composure when dealing with upset or angry customers.
Who does a Pharmacy Technician Assistant work with?
Pharmacy Technicians work directly with customers, Nurses, and Doctors. They operate under the direct supervision of licensed Pharmacists.