Carpenter job description
A Carpenter is a construction professional who works with construction crews to build, adjust and repair wood frameworks in various construction projects. They work with their hands, using tools to build and install frameworks that last a lifetime!
This Carpenter job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Carpenter responsibilities include:
- Reading blueprints, drawings and sketches to fully grasp requirements
- Taking measurements and calculating the size and amount of material needed
- Cutting, shaping and smoothing lumber and other material (e.g. fiberglass) according to measurements
We are looking for a qualified Carpenter to cut, fabricate and install wooden and other structures according to specifications. Your job will entail working in diverse settings to produce steady and functional infrastructure and products.
A carpenter is an individual with great hand dexterity and an eye for detail. The ideal candidate will also have good knowledge of wood properties and other carpentry materials. Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential.
The goal is to contribute to the construction and maintenance of strong and long-lasting buildings and products.
- Read blueprints, drawings and sketches to fully grasp requirements
- Take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed
- Cut, shape and smooth lumber and other material (e.g. fiberglass) according to measurements
- Build window frames, doors, staircases and frame buildings by using raw materials or pre-constructed items
- Lay out floorings, roofings or drywalls ensuring they are leveled and compatible
- Carve and assemble furniture, cabinets, shelves and other items and install them where designated
- Inspect places and conduct repairs or maintenance
- Build scaffolding and other construction structures
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as carpenter
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Proficient in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.)
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Good knowledge of English
- Good understanding of basic math
- Good physical condition and endurance
- High school diploma; Successful completion of a carpentry apprenticeship program is required
Frequently asked questions
What does a Carpenter do?
Carpenters work in a wide range of build settings, including indoor jobs like hanging cupboards and fitting them with handles and working outside where they might erect scaffolding around buildings before going onto roofing duties.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Carpenter?
Carpenters construct, repair and install wooden building frameworks and structures from indoors to outdoors on many projects, including installing kitchen cabinets or building highways.
What makes a good Carpenter?
A good Carpenter will act with integrity and transparency. Their income relies heavily on their trustworthiness, from meeting deadlines to properly completing projects in various settings.
Who does a Carpenter work with?
Carpenters often work alongside General Laborers, who complete more mundane or straightforward tasks as the Carpenters focus on wood frameworks and other structures in the work zone.
Hiring Carpenter job description
Post this Carpenter job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.