Welder job description
A Welder is a professional responsible for assembling pieces of metal or repairing damage in components using heavy machinery that emits high heat, melting the metals into shape.
This Welder job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Welder responsibilities include:
- Reading blueprints and drawings and taking measurements to plan layout and procedures
- Determining the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Setting up components for welding according to specifications
We are looking for a skilled Welder to cut and join metals and other materials at our facilities or construction sites. You will operate appropriate equipment to put together mechanical structures or parts with a great deal of precision. Your job is important as it provides the foundation for strong infrastructure.
A welder must be competent in using potentially dangerous equipment following all safety precautions. The ideal candidate will also have a steady hand and great attention to detail. Knowledge of different kinds of metal and their properties is essential.
- Read blueprints and drawings and take or read measurements to plan layout and procedures
- Determine the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements)
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Repair machinery and other components by welding pieces and filling gaps
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as welder
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MMA etc.)
- Experience in using electrical or manual tools (saws, squares, calipers etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face-shield, gloves etc.)
- Deftness and attention to detail
- Proficient in English
- Successful completion of a relevant apprenticeship program is required
- Professional Certification (e.g. an AWS welding certificate) will be a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Welder do?
Welders repair metal products by heating them with their welding tools. Some welders use different metals, like steel or aluminum. They also inspect materials or structures requiring welding and monitor processes while staying aware of overheating levels, so nothing goes wrong.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Welder?
A Welder welds or brazes pieces of metal together. They use heavy machinery which melts the appropriate shapes out of their material and smooths it into shape. A significant part of being a Welder includes reviewing blueprints before cutting any plates. Also making sure they match up with what's being made, so there are no problems later in the process.
What makes a good Welder?
A Welder should have patience, ensuring the welding process is accurately completed while adapting quickly if things change around them during work hours. A good Welder is self-directed, always looking ahead and is detail-oriented.
Who does a Welder work with?
A Welder may work alongside Electricians and General Laborers while working on Architectural projects that require their expertise.
Hiring Welder job description
Post this Welder job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.