Web Designer interview questions and answers
These sample Web Designer interview questions test candidates for design and UI/UX skills to help you hire the most qualified individuals. Feel free to modify these questions to meet your specific needs.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Web Designer Interview Questions
Web designers create elements (e.g. wireframes, storyboards, user flows and sitemaps) to improve the interactivity and functionality of websites or applications. Their role is to provide both simple and attractive user-friendly design solutions.
When you’re hiring a Web Designer, review candidates’ portfolios first. You’ll gain insight into their work, plus good talking points for your interviews. Consider asking candidates to submit an assignment that aligns with your company’s specific needs.
Related: How to hire designers
Keep an eye out for candidates who are enthusiastic about their profession. A desire to test new design tools and follow industry trends are signs of potential hires who enjoy learning. Also, keep in mind that these individuals work with various departments, so your ideal candidates are open to feedback and comfortable presenting their ideas.
Operational and Situational questions
- You are working hard on a project and just before you complete it, your manager asks you to produce something different. How do you handle this?
- You are assigned a new project. What questions do you ask to ensure you understand the project’s scope and goals?
- How would you present your creative ideas to persuade your manager into changing the direction of a project?
- How do you prepare your work for production?
- What are your favorite visual design tools? Why?
- How is responsive design different from adaptive design?
- What’s your favorite portfolio piece and which one do you like the least? Why?
- Which of these pieces did you work on with a team? Describe your role.
- How long did it take to complete [X] piece?
- What was your inspiration for [X[ piece? Was this your original idea or did you change the design in-process?
- Talk about one of your most successful design projects. What kind of results did it achieve?
- In previous positions, how did you manage tight deadlines?
- Describe your experience presenting your work to senior managers. How did you do it?
- Do you prefer to multi-task or work on one project at a time?
- Some of your daily/regular projects may be repetitive. How will you stay motivated?
- How would you overcome a creative block?