These VP of HR interview questions provide a guide for effective interviewing. Use them to help you find the best among qualified candidates.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best VP of HR candidates. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
VP of HR Interview Questions
Vice Presidents of Human Resources (VP of HR) oversee all HR operations from labor relations to compensation systems. The title is commonly found in the tech industry, where they hold a position within the management team.
Experience and graduate degrees are typical in this position. Take a moment to consider whether professional credentials are an important factor to you since you can use them as a way to screen resumes. The shortlisted candidates should have solid HR generalist experience and knowledge of employment law.
Questions about leadership, strategic planning and organizational development can reveal a candidate’s suitability. Make a point to discover if they can balance strategic vision with practical business solutions. Their communication skills should be apparent and it’s also worth evaluating the integrity of their character. Leadership skills are a prerequisite in all senior positions, so make a point to ask how they led subordinates in the past.
Operational and Situational questions
- What employment laws should a VP of HR know? How has that knowledge helped you previously?
- What are, in your opinion, the most important characteristics of a VP of HR?
- How do you lead a diverse team?
- What changes in your leadership approach when the company has an international workforce?
- How do you measure effectiveness of an HR function (e.g. recruitment)?
- What questions do you ask yourself when planning strategy?
- How do the company’s HR needs influence strategic planning?
- What can you do to maintain the culture of an organization?
- How do you ensure objectives of HR operations are aligned with the company’s strategy?
- How does a unionized workplace affect HR responsibilities?
- What can HR do to influence company culture?
- If you had to resolve a dispute between an employee and a fellow HR executive, how would you handle it?
- Tell me how you contributed to the company’s success in your previous position
- Describe a suggestion you made to senior management in the past that benefited the organization eventually
- Have you ever faced a dilemma in your job? How did you resolve it?
- Tell me about a time you managed to motivate your subordinates
- Describe a time you created an HR plan to address developments in the business environment
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial