This sample of HR Executive interview questions can help you create criteria to evaluate candidates for senior HR roles. Tailor these questions to meet specific job requirements for your company’s roles.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best HR executives. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
HR Executive Interview Questions
HR Executives are responsible for overseeing all basic operations of the Human Resources department: onboarding process, performance evaluations, compensation and benefits. They also play a strategic role in building the company’s hiring plans.
Successful HR Executives should have theoretical and practical knowledge of Human Resources procedures (preferably acquired through a BS degree in HR and work experience in a senior HR role like manager or business partner) They should also be interested in trying new techniques to foster a more supportive workspace.
During your interview process, test candidates for their interpersonal and leadership skills by combining behavioral and situational questions. HR Executives should be able to support, motivate and mentor employees, so keep an eye out for organized executive candidates who can build healthy work relationships.
Operational and Situational questions
- What recruiting metrics would you request, if you had to make a quarterly forecast of our hiring needs?
- We want to offer flexible working hours for our employees. What policies would you recommend to achieve that goal?
- An employee submits a complaint. Describe the steps you’d take to process it.
- How would you handle an HR department mistake that resulted in regulatory fines?
- What are the pros and cons of implementing an employee referral bonus program?
- In your experience, what employer benefits increase employee satisfaction? Why?
- How would you structure an onboarding process to be a positive experience?
- What HR software have you used? Mention any tools you’re familiar working with, including ATS and payroll systems.
- Have you ever experienced conflicts within your team? How did you handle them?
- Describe a time you successfully resolved differences between an employee and upper-level management.
- How do you stay informed about updates to labor laws?
- Give me an example of a time you led a complex HR project from start to finish. How did you do it?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial