This Truck Driver job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Truck Driver responsibilities include:
- Transporting finished goods and raw materials over land to and from manufacturing plants or retail and distribution centers
- Inspecting vehicles for mechanical items and safety issues and perform preventative maintenance
- Planning routes and meeting delivery schedules
We are looking for an experienced Truck Driver to serve our supply chain logistics department in a safe and timely manner.
- Transport finished goods and raw materials over land to and from manufacturing plants or retail and distribution centers
- Inspect vehicles for mechanical items and safety issues and perform preventative maintenance
- Plan routes and meet delivery schedules
- Document and log work/rest periods and kilometres spent driving and retain fuel/toll receipts
- Input “macros” into our automated system for each stage of the loading and unloading process
- Comply with truck driving rules and regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking and break periods) as well as with company policies and procedures
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions
- Collect and verify delivery instructions
- Report defects, accidents or violations
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Truck Driver
- Hands on experience with electronic equipment and software (GPS, AVL units, CB etc)
- Ability to drive long hours and travel regularly
- Extensive knowledge of applicable truck driving rules and regulations
- No recent moving or driving violations
- Adaptability and foresight to handle unexpected situations (traffic, weather conditions etc)
- Willing to submit to background/drug checks and provide employment recommendations
- Trucking school diploma
- Valid truck driving licence
Frequently asked questions
What does a Truck Driver do?
Truck Drivers move goods across the country by truck or tractor-trailer. Depending on an industry's fleet size requirements, their routes can be regional or national.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Truck Driver?
Truck Drivers transport finished goods and raw materials over land to manufacturing plants or retail distribution centers. They must also inspect their vehicle's mechanical state and perform preventative maintenance on their truck. They must, in addition, plan routes that will get them there quickly.
What makes a Good Truck Driver?
Great Truck Drivers should always be on the lookout for problems, no matter how small they seem. They should make sure that their skills and knowledge will never be out-of-date. This ensures that they can fix problems themselves when something goes wrong.
Who does a Truck Driver work with?
A Truck Driver often works independently, rarely interacting with others on their delivery travels. However, sometimes they may work alongside Warehouse Workers, who unload and load items into trucks in which the drivers operate.