Social Media Analyst Interview Questions
Social Media Analysts measure the results of social media activity and campaigns. They craft marketing strategies to boost a brand’s online presence.
Candidates for this role usually hold a Marketing degree and/or relevant certifications in digital technologies. Hands-on experience with Google Analytics and social media management tools, like Buffer and Hootsuite, is also required.
Look for candidates with an ability to grasp online marketing trends and audience preferences. Your potential hires should be proactive. They should go beyond reporting on metrics to identify how to improve your social media strategy.
During your interviews, learn how candidates stay on top of digital technology developments and how they use this knowledge on the job. It’s important for Social Media Analysts to stay current with new tools and techniques, as social media is a rapidly changing field.
Operational and Situational questions
- If hired, what metrics would you look at to learn about our current social media strategy?
- We are launching a new product. Which networks would you advertise the product launch in? Which do you think would be the least effective? Why?
- How would you A/B-test the timings of our social media posts?
- If we decided to broadcast a live event, how would you measure its success?
- What metrics would indicate that a social media campaign has failed?
- What metrics do you monitor everyday? What reports do you compile?
- What tools do you use to schedule posts?
- How do you find out Facebook followers’ demographics? What would you do with this data?
- How do you measure user engagement (e.g. views, clicks and shares) for ephemeral content, like Snapchat or Instagram Stories?
- How can SEO increase web traffic? Mention some SEO effective practices for web content.
- What keyword research tools do you use and how do you implement their findings?
- Describe a social media campaign you ran from beginning to end. What was the purpose of the campaign, what channels did you use and what results did you achieve?
- What challenges have you faced when trying to explain social media metrics to non-technical executives? How did you overcome them?
- How do you find out about new tools and trends in your field?
- Have you joined any Facebook or LinkedIn groups to connect with industry professionals? Which social media experts do you follow? (e.g. on Twitter)
- Have you ever faced objections or doubts when suggesting a new social media strategy? If so, what did you do?
- Tell me about the most successful social media campaign you know. What made it so successful?