Use these sample Senior Web Developer interview questions to help you assess candidates’ programming skills as part of your hiring process.
Senior Web Developer Interview Questions
Senior Web Developers are responsible for the layout and functionality of websites and online applications. They also supervise Web Developers and coordinate with internal teams to resolve front-end technical issues.
Candidates for this role usually have a Computer Science academic background along with relevant work experience – preferably in managerial roles. As with all technical roles, it’s best to include a written assignment to your hiring process. This way, you’ll be able to better evaluate candidates’ coding skills and get a sense of how they handle deadlines.
Successful candidates should also have leadership skills. Opt for people who’re willing to take ownership of projects and decisions and are able to motivate their team members. Successful Senior Web Developers proactively resolve technical issues.
Source and recruit Developers and Web Developers with Workable’s Boolean search cheat sheets.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you approach unrealistic requests of your team from executives or other teams?
- If we wanted to redesign our corporate website, how would you go about gathering user and system requirements?
- Tell me about an application you regularly use. How would you improve its functionality?
- If a developer on your team is underperforming, when and how would you approach them?
- You have an idea you want to try out quickly. What tools would you use to prototype it?
- Walk me through the process of creating a web page from scratch.
- How do you check other people’s code for bugs?
- Provide a basic overview of push technology. What are its benefits and drawbacks?
- How can Page Visibility API be useful?
- What user interface and security principles do you consider when building a website or online application?
- Describe a time when your program didn’t run. How did you troubleshoot your code?
- Has your team ever failed to meet a deadline? What went wrong and how did you address the situation?
- How do you help your team members improve their coding skills? Do you conduct on-the-job coaching or encourage them to attend meetups and conferences?
- How do you handle conflicts on your team?
- How do you stay current with the latest technology developments?