This Restaurant Manager interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best restaurant managers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Restaurant Manager Interview Questions
Be highly selective and attentive when hiring your next restaurant, or food and beverage manager. This person will be chiefly responsible for ensuring that your restaurant runs profitably and efficiently, and as such they should be both a leader and an organizer. At a high level your Restaurant Manager will be in charge of ensuring high standards of food, service, health, and safety. At the day-to-day level they will be responsible duties such as hiring staff, scheduling shifts, and keeping precise, up-to-date on inventory, expenses, revenue and payroll records.
Conflict management skills and problem-solving skills are critical for this role. As the supervisor of your establishment, any quarrels between staff, complaints about the food, or other issues will be escalated to their attention. They should be a strong communicator and be able to earn the respect and trust of their staff. In addition, they should be multi-skilled and able to pitch in wherever they are needed.
No job should be too small for your Restaurant Manager. Depending on the day, they might have to wash dishes, cook, or serve guests. Use these interview questions to determine whether your candidates have the extensive restaurant experience needed for this role. These open-ended and situational interview questions are a starting point. For best results, add your own questions specific to the type of cuisine or customer you serve.
Operational and Situational questions
- Have you dined with us before? What would you change or improve?
- Have you interacted with our managers or staff? What was your impression?
- How would you describe our competitors and our customers?
- What’s the most challenging aspect of being a manager or a chef?
- How would you rate your cost control abilities? What actions have you taken to save costs or increase revenue?
- How do you stay up-to-date and precise on revenue reports, inventory reports, and payroll reports?
- An item on the menu is not selling well. How would you discuss this with your chef?
- Recall a time you resolved a conflict with a guest, employee, or supervisor at work. How did you handle it?
- Recall a time you mentored someone. Where were they when you first started? Where are they now?
- When was the last time you fired someone? Why did you fire them?
- Describe the best employee you’ve ever hired.
- How would you deal with ingredient substitutions?
- How do you accommodate special diets? (Vegan, gluten-free)
- Describe a time you went above and beyond guest expectations.
- Describe a time you anticipated a guest’s needs.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial