These Public Relations Assistant interview questions tell you what to look for in candidates to identify the best people for the position.
Public Relations Assistant Interview Questions
A public relations (PR) assistant is an entry level role that supports day-to-day PR operations. It’s typically occupied by recent graduates with less than two years of experience. A bachelor’s degree in public relations or communications is a common requirement.
The basis of this role is communication, both written and oral. Shortlist candidates with a carefully constructed application that demonstrates they can use language effectively to create a positive image. You can also ask them to provide you with a writing sample to assess this skill.
Tailor your interview questions depending on your needs and on whether you’re hiring for an agency or an in-house department. Assess both their PR and administrative skills. Look for excellent communicators with a confident but down-to-earth attitude. The best candidates should exhibit resourcefulness when answering behavioral or situational questions. Make a point to evaluate organizational ability, attention to detail and extroversion as well.
Operational and Situational questions
- In your opinion, what’s PR about?
- Why are social media important for PR?
- What does a media list involve?
- Imagine the PR manager asks you to give them the contact details of a media person. How would you go about finding them?
- How do you put together a press kit?
- Do you have any video editing experience?
- How do you organize your tasks?
- What media outlets do you follow and why?
- What skills should you possess to communicate with clients?
- How would you deal with an enquiry from the press?
- What do you think of our PR campaigns?
- Tell me about a time you helped in organizing an event. Was it a success?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial