Program Coordinator Interview Questions
Program coordinator duties range from administrative support to program development and regulatory compliance. They title is found commonly in higher education institutions as well as in health and public services. In other industries, duties may differ although the skillset largely remains the same.
When screening resumes, you can look for a bachelor’s in a field relevant to the role. It’s a good idea to ask for a couple of years of experience in this role or a similar position, depending on whether you expect them to work independently or under guidance.
A great approach at an interview would be to ask situational questions inspired from the particular programs you expect the incumbent to work on. The best candidates will be able to explain how their skills match the responsibilities of the position and talk about their past experience to reinforce their statements. Technology plays an important part in program management so ask questions specifically about it. You should be looking for phenomenal organizational and multi-tasking skills as well as the ability to build rapport with multiple parties. Your ideal candidate should be a self-starter able to think critically and take initiative.
Operational and Situational questions
- Imagine you have to schedule and plan a conference from start to finish. What things would you consider and what steps would you follow?
- What would you do if an internal client were bothering you with insignificant questions while you had an important task to finish?
- How has your background prepared you for this role?
- How do you think you can contribute to this position?
- What’s your experience with budgeting/bookkeeping?
- What kind of technology tools/software should a program coordinator be familiar with? How proficient are you in using them?
- Do you have experience in dealing with diversity? How do you increase diversity awareness?
- What’s your experience with fundraising?
- Rate your skills in creating proposals/presentations on a scale of 1 to 10
- This role involves managing multiple objectives simultaneously. How do you manage your time and prioritize tasks?
- Recall a time you made a significant contribution to a program
- Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker. How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you perceived there was a lag in the execution of a program task. What did you do to fix it?