This Patient Care Technician job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Patient Care Technician responsibilities include:
- Keeping patient rooms tidy and sanitized
- Assisting patient with everyday needs
- Monitoring vital signs or EKG signals and patient condition
We are looking for a qualified Patient Care Technician (PCT) to provide daily assistance to patients. You will help them with their basic needs and collaborate with medical professionals to achieve excellent patient care.
A PCT is a committed and compassionate professional. They have great interpersonal skills and ability to create a supportive environment. We expect you to be trained in patient care as well as various clinical tasks.
The goal is to facilitate the recovery of the ill and injured by providing them critical everyday assistance.
- Keep patient rooms tidy and sanitized
- Assist patient with everyday needs (personal hygiene, using the restroom, grooming etc.)
- Monitor vital signs (temperature, pulse etc.) or EKG signals and patient condition
- Take fluid samples or other specimens for testing
- Assist nursing staff in administering basic treatments
- Perform basic nursing procedures (e.g. changing bandages)
- Ensure rooms have adequate patient care supplies
- Assist patients with particular issues or needs
- Provide appropriate emotional support
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as patient care technician
- Trained in phlebotomy, vital signs measurement and dialysis treatment
- Excellent knowledge of patient assistance and care procedures
- Working knowledge of relevant equipment (catheters, needles atc.)
- Committed to health and safety standards
- Empathetic and approachable
- Successful completion of PCT training program with certification is required
- CPR certified
Frequently asked questions
What does a Patient Care Technician do?
A Patient Care Technician ensures the well-being of patients. They provide medical services during patient stays and visits. A Patient Care Technician prepares for each encounter by checking vital signs like blood pressure, heart rate and pulse rates throughout their shift.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Patient Care Technician?
A Patient Care Technician’s responsibilities include measuring and documenting vital signs. They also identify patient concerns and report them to their colleagues. A Patient Care Technician’s duties also include moving, turning or relocating patients as required for their comfort and medical requirements.
What makes a good Patient Care Technician?
An effective Patient Care Technician should have patience, empathy and intuition to serve their patients best. They also need good communication and organizational skills to interact with their charges and communicate their issues to the appropriate staff members.
Who does a Patient Care Technician work with?
A Patient Care Technician works directly with patients and their families to complete medical tasks and ensure they receive quality care. They work under the supervision of a Registered Nurse to provide essential assistance with daily tasks.