Personal Care Assistant job description
A Personal Care Assistant (PCA) is a professional who assists the elderly, disabled or people in recovery with performing day-to-day activities. For example, they help with household chores, hygiene and mobility support.
This Personal Care Assistant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company. Similar job titles include Personal Care Aide.
Personal Care Assistant responsibilities include:
- Ensuring clients receive their medication on time
- Supporting clients who can’t move on their own
- Helping clients dress, bathe, eat etc.
We are looking for a competent personal care assistant to support physically or mentally challenged customers in their everyday lives. The fulfilment and satisfaction that comes with helping others surpasses the challenges of this job.
If you’re a compassionate, positive person who isn’t afraid to work hard, then this is a job for you. We expect you to be polite and a good communicator. Experience in housekeeping tasks and caring for the elderly or sick will make you a strong candidate.
- Ensure clients receive their medication on time
- Support clients who can’t move on their own
- Help clients dress, bathe, eat etc.
- Assist clients with physical therapy exercises
- Cook meals according to the customer’s restrictions
- Help customers with their shopping
- Do necessary housekeeping to maintain a clean environment
- Provide emotional support
- Inform physicians or supervisors about uncommon events
- Act quickly and responsibly in cases of emergency
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as personal care assistant
- Committed to health & safety
- Able to do housework and cooking
- Well-organized and reliable
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Positive and compassionate attitude
- Strong ethics
- Physical stamina
- CPR certified
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver’s licence
Frequently asked questions
What does a Personal Care Assistant do?
A Personal Care Assistant offers personal care services that are part of a client’s established plans for himself or herself. For example, they assist with bathing, dressing, grooming, helping those who cannot feed themselves and transferring from the bed into chairs.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Personal Care Assistant?
Personal Care Assistants’ duties include mobility support, assisting with maintaining personal hygiene by bathing, brushing their hair and teeth or applying skincare. In addition, they may be responsible for housekeeping duties such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes and dishes and running errands. Additionally, they are in charge of medication disposal and treatment administration.
What makes a good Personal Care Assistant?
A good Personal Care Assistant is a compassionate, supportive and well-rounded individual. Maintaining reliability and organization is also vital. These traits are imperative to provide the necessary support and comfort to recovering, disabled or frail clients.
Who does a Personal Care Assistant work with?
A Personal Care Assistant typically aids disabled, chronically ill or elderly clients. They may also work alongside other types of caregivers, such as an Occupational Therapist, by assisting with a physical therapy session.
Hiring Personal Care Assistant job description
Post this Personal Care Assistant job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.