Occupational Therapist job description
Occupational therapists are professionals who assist injured and disabled patients through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. These include helping these individuals develop skills needed for daily life. They work toward improving their recovery to resume, as closely as possible, an everyday life without much difficulty.
Occupational Therapist responsibilities include:
- Addressing client’s aspects of performance to support engagement in occupations that affect health, well-being and life quality
- Selecting and adapting the appropriate per case occupational therapy treatment model, method and approach to direct the process of interventions
- Applying interventions to maximize safety and performance in activities of daily living (ADL) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADL)
We are looking for a committed and patient-focused Occupational Therapist to develop, recover or maintain the daily living and work skills of people with physical, mental or developmental conditions.
You will offer effective and client-centered services that will enable people to confidently and independently carry out everyday tasks or activities. The successful candidate will have an holistic perspective and will be able to adapt the environment to fit the person.
- Address client’s aspects of performance to support engagement in occupations that affect health, well-being and life quality
- Select and adapt the appropriate per case occupational therapy treatment model, method and approach to direct the process of interventions
- Apply interventions to maximize safety and performance in activities of daily living (ADL) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADL)
- Teach clients new ways of approaching tasks and educate them on how to break down activities into achievable components
- Assess client’s home and other environments and advice on alterations consistent with their needs and capabilities
- Recommend adaptive equipment and train in its use
- Guide and educate family members and caregivers
- Observe, note, and report on progress of long and short term treatment goals
- Collect data and document processes followed
- Regularly follow-up client
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Occupational Therapist
- Excellent knowledge of principles and practices of occupational therapy
- Hands-on experience with computer programs and creative media
- Familiarity with ADLs evaluation tools ( e.g. Katz ADL scale, Lawton IADL scale)
- Ability to manage patients with different types of personalities
- Current knowledge of treatment practices per discipline and drive to continually learn and grow in the profession
- Professional behaviour
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Valid licence to practice occupational therapy
- BS degree or greater in occupational therapy
Frequently asked questions
What does an Occupational Therapist do?
Occupational Therapists help injured, ill, or disabled patients recover from their ailments. They organize and recondition skills needed for daily living healthily. They also teach these individuals how to maintain recovery over time without needing professional assistance.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Occupational Therapist?
Occupational Therapists help people who have difficulties with movement and speech. They assess their condition and determine how they can begin recovery and work toward everyday life. Through consistent practice, their efforts help patients heal.
What makes a Good Occupational Therapist?
Successful Occupational Therapists offer patience and empathy. Additionally, some people may need more time than others, so a sense of sympathy and understanding is essential. They also need good communication skills to be able to convey and understand patient requests.
Who does an Occupational Therapist work with?
Occupational Therapists work with Physical Therapists. Each position works to ensure a patient's smooth and safe recovery, each doing their part to push their patients toward healthy and livable lives.
Hiring Occupational Therapist job description
Post this Occupational Therapist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.