What is a librarian?
Librarians oversee the proper functioning of various types of public libraries, school libraries, or law libraries.
What does a librarian do?
Librarians organize the library database and help people find materials and resources. Their responsibilities may vary based on the library they work for. For example, in large libraries, librarians usually specialize in a specific domain, such as administration, IT management, or the children's library.
Overall, general librarian duties include:
- Developing and updating library inventory
- Handling requests by patrons
- Researching and implementing new information management techniques
When crafting your own librarian job description, it’s important to clearly define librarian job requirements and responsibilities based on the needs of the specific position you want to fill.
We are looking for an experienced librarian with a passion for learning and books to join our team.
You’ll ensure that the library runs smoothly on a daily basis, and all patrons are happy with our services. Also, some important librarian tasks you’ll undertake include developing, organizing, and updating library records.
To do this job, you’ll need to be a people person, since you’ll regularly interact with patrons and other library employees. Endurance and patience is also a must, as you’ll often handle multiple duties at the same time, for instance, showing people how to use the resources database or updating the information system.
If you fit this description and you’re also adept in shushing noisy patrons, we’d like to hear from you.
- Oversee the library to ensure cleanliness, order, and protection of the library’s resources
- Develop and organize library inventory (e.g. with books, collections, periodicals, multimedia, etc.)
- Conduct regular checks and updates on database information
- Help patrons research reading materials and references
- Answer patrons’ questions via phone or email
- Publish and update content on the library’s website (e.g. book summaries, reviews, blog, etc.)
- Research and implement new information system techniques
- Organize activities and promotional events (e.g. children’s storytelling, author readings, book sales, etc.)
- Manage library budgeting and billing for new equipment
- Supervise library assistants and other staff
- Previous experience as a librarian
- Experience using computers and working with electronic databases
- Familiarity with information management systems
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective communication
- Ability to multitask
- A patient and friendly personality
- A degree in Library Science; a Master’s in Library Science or Information Management is a plus