Make sure that you are interviewing the best front desk representatives. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Front Desk Representative Interview Questions
Front desk representatives are the first person that will greet you at a hotel’s reception or the entrance of a corporate office. Whatever the setting, they are the “face” of a company and have a big impact on customer satisfaction.
Generally, success in this position doesn’t depend on a specific educational background. Although there are employers who prefer a relevant degree for senior positions (e.g. in the hospitality industry), it’s usually better to focus on experience and actual competencies.
While interviewing, you should adjust questions to the needs of the position. There are, however, core competencies you could look for at any case. Customer service and problem-solving are usually the most important complemented with a positive and professional attitude, critical thinking and multitasking skills.
Operational and Situational questions
- What do you do to ensure guests feel welcome while waiting?
- If you had to deal with more than one customers who are complaining at the same time, how would you handle it?
- If you are on the phone with an important customer and another important customer walks in, what do you do?
- An employee at your company is late for an appointment with a guest who has already arrived. How would you handle this situation?
- How do you calculate revpar?
- How do you define excellent customer service?
- What is your experience with POS systems?
- How do you prioritize tasks?
- Describe the procedure of accepting and distributing deliveries in your previous job
- Tell me about a time you lost a dissatisfied customer. What did you learn? Did you take any steps to win them back?
- Have you ever disagreed with your manager’s instructions and what happened?
- Describe a time you were faced with a difficult situation where a co worker was at fault. How did you handle it?
- Have you ever faced a raging customer?
- Tell me about a time you had to make a decision while your supervisor was away. How did it go?
- Was there a time you lost your patience with someone?