This BI (Business Intelligence) Developer job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a BI Developer?
A BI Developer is a professional who designs, develops, and maintains business intelligence solutions. They use data analytics platforms, reporting tools, and visualization techniques to turn raw data into meaningful insights that help organizations make informed decisions. They have a background in data analysis and possess strong technical skills in database management systems and BI technologies.
What does a BI Developer do?
A BI Developer is responsible for translating business needs into technical specifications and building BI solutions accordingly. They design and deploy reporting tools, maintain data analytics platforms, and create databases to store data. They also conduct data analysis, develop visualizations and reports, and collaborate with teams to integrate systems. Their role involves troubleshooting, improving existing BI systems, and ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of data-driven solutions.
BI Developer responsibilities include:
- Designing, developing and maintaining business intelligence solutions
- Crafting and executing queries upon request for data
- Presenting information through reports and visualization
We are seeking a skilled Business Intelligence (BI) Developer to oversee the creation and management of BI and analytics solutions, transforming data into valuable insights.
The ideal candidate should possess a strong background in data and business analysis, along with analytical and communication skills. A sound business understanding and problem-solving abilities are also desired.
As a BI Developer, you will play a pivotal role in enhancing our business intelligence system to drive informed decision-making.
Join us to contribute to our quest for improved outcomes and strategic growth through the power of data-driven insights.
- Translate business needs to technical specifications
- Design, build and deploy BI solutions (e.g. reporting tools)
- Maintain and support data analytics platforms (e.g. MicroStrategy)
- Create tools to store data (e.g. OLAP cubes)
- Conduct unit testing and troubleshooting
- Evaluate and improve existing BI systems
- Collaborate with teams to integrate systems
- Develop and execute database queries and conduct analyses
- Create visualizations and reports for requested projects
- Develop and update technical documentation
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a BI Developer or Data Scientist
- Industry experience is preferred
- Background in data warehouse design (e.g. dimensional modeling) and data mining
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
- Familiarity with BI technologies (e.g. Microsoft Power BI, Oracle BI)
- Knowledge of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a BI Developer do?
- A BI Developer designs and develops business intelligence solutions, turning raw data into actionable insights through analysis and visualization techniques.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a BI Developer?
- Duties include translating business needs into technical specifications, building and deploying BI solutions, maintaining data analytics platforms, creating visualizations and reports, and collaborating with teams.
- What makes a good BI Developer?
- Strong technical skills, analytical mindset, innovation, and effective communication. Deep understanding of data analysis, data warehouse design, and ETL frameworks. Ability to deliver high-quality results and translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Who does a BI Developer work with?
- BI Developers work with business analysts, data scientists, data engineers, IT professionals, and end-users such as business managers and executives.
- What skills should a BI Developer have?
- Proven experience in BI development or data science, expertise in database management systems, SQL queries, and BI technologies. Strong analytical thinking, problem-solving, communication, collaboration, and documentation skills.