This Auto Mechanic job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Auto Mechanic responsibilities include:
- Inspecting vehicle engine and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately
- Inspecting vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade
- Conducting routine maintenance work aiming to vehicle functionality and longevity
We are looking for a skilled Auto Mechanic to maintain and repair vehicles. You will be responsible for troubleshooting issues and fixing them aiming to maximum reliability and functionality.
An excellent auto mechanic has good eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. They are well-versed in complex mechanical or electronical systems of vehicles and have excellent problem-solving abilities. They must also be good communicators to provide advice to customers.
- Inspect vehicle engine and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately
- Inspect vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade
- Conduct routine maintenance work (replacing fluids, lubricating parts etc.) aiming to vehicle functionality and longevity
- Schedule future maintenance sessions and advise motorists on good vehicle use
- Repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts and fix issues (e.g. leaks)
- Provide accurate estimates (cost, time, effort) for a repair or maintenance job
- Keep logs on work and issues
- Maintain equipment and tools in good condition
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as auto mechanic
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical, electrical and electronic components of vehicles
- Working knowledge of vehicle diagnostic systems and methods
- Ability to handle various tools (e.g. pliers) and heavy equipment (e.g. lift)
- Willingness to observe all safety precautions for protections against accidents, dangerous fluids, chemicals etc.
- Excellent physical condition
- High school diploma is preferred; Certification from a vocational school or completion of apprenticeship is preferred
- Valid certification (e.g ASE) is a definite plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does an Auto Mechanic do?
- Auto Mechanics provide repairs to customer vehicles when brought into the repair shop. Auto Mechanics work on everything from engines, to belts, to transmissions, to brakes.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an Auto Mechanic?
- An Auto Mechanic fixes vehicles and replaces their parts for customers. Their duties include repairing the vehicle's mechanical components, diagnosing problems with cars/ trucks and performing maintenance work on them as well.
- What makes a good Auto Mechanic?
- A good Auto Mechanic is someone who is trustworthy, honest and knows how to solve problems quickly. These mechanics know how to run diagnostics to understand an issue with a vehicle, and they know how to communicate with customers clearly and concisely.
- Who does an Auto Mechanic work with?
- Auto Mechanics work with other staff in the repair department or automobile dealership to complete necessary repairs. Typically, Auto Mechanics report to a lead mechanic who works directly with customers, but sometimes Auto Mechanics need to communicate with customers before, during and after repairs are completed.