These sample Webmaster interview questions will help you evaluate candidates’ skills and make better hiring decisions. Similar job titles include Web Administrator.
Webmaster Interview Questions
Webmasters ensure that websites operate properly. They improve website speed and functionality, minimize downtime and fix bugs, like broken links.
Keep an eye out for webmaster candidates who are enthusiastic and interested in learning more about web development. These people are likely to notice small details and share creative ideas to improve your website layouts. Problem-solving abilities are also essential for this role, as Webmasters should be able to proactively identify and address technical issues that users face.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would you check first if many users complained about the website load speed?
- If you identified a bug on our contact page and didn’t know how to address it, how would you inform our engineering team about it?
- What would you do if you spotted unusual numbers in Web Analytics? (e.g. significant drops in traffic or conversion rates)
- How would you make our interface more user-friendly?
- What measures would you take to make our site secure? What guidelines would you give to users to minimize their security risks?
- What data do you collect from Google PageSpeed Insights? How do you use this information?
- Are you familiar with keyword research to improve a page’s rankings? What kinds of tools do you use? (e.g. Keyword Planner and Moz)
- What is your role in designing a new web page?
- How do you check if links work and how do you fix broken links?
- What web management tools have you used?
- Briefly describe the steps to install and configure a web server.
- What do you consider when managing web access rights for different users?
- What topic would you like to learn more about in web development and/or design? How would this knowledge help you as a webmaster?
- Tell me about a time when your attention to detail helped you quickly identify a website flaw.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far? What was the situation and how did you overcome the obstacles?
- Describe a website you recently visited that had a poor design. What did you feel was wrong with it? In your opinion, what features enhance user experience?