Team Leader Interview Questions
Team Leaders delegate tasks and supervise team members’ performance to increase productivity and achieve goals. They are also responsible for reporting results and solving potential conflicts.
When hiring for this role, keep an eye out for candidates who can motivate their team members with constructive feedback and recognition. Use leadership interview questions to evaluate if candidates can manage teams and create collaborative work environments.
Team Leaders set the example for their subordinates. During your interviews, focus on candidates who exude professionalism, handle confidential information sensitively and follow company policies. Candidates who don’t hesitate to reach difficult decisions will also stand out.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you motivate a team member who seems discouraged or lacks energy?
- How would you mitigate a dispute between two team members who were arguing over their project responsibilities?
- If your team members considered a goal unrealistic, how would you change their minds?
- A manager from a different department wants to collaborate with a member of your team. How would you handle this request?
- Two employees left from your team just before the deadline on a big project. How would you change your leadership style to meet the deadline?
- You learn that one of your top performers is stealing the company’s stationery. How would you handle this situation?
- Which performance appraisal systems have you previously used?
- How do you prefer to communicate with your team?
- Have you participated in or organized team-building activities? What were they?
- How do you keep track of tasks and goals? Name any productivity tools you’ve used.
- Do you prefer to provide individual or team-wide feedback? Why? (Or, in which cases do you choose each approach?)
- What’s the most difficult part of your job?
- Do you have experience laying off an employee? If so, how did you handle the situation?
- What onboarding processes do you use for new team members?
- Tell me about a time your team successfully completed a challenging project. What did you do to keep employees on track and motivated?