Software Architect job description
A Software Architect is a skilled professional who designs high-level concepts and user interface (UI) layouts for software applications. They collaborate with other architects and software engineers to ensure that the final product meets all requirements outlined in the original designs.
Software Architect responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications
- Using tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and user interface of desired product
- Developing high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
We are looking for an experienced Software Architect to make intuitive high level decisions for software development. You will see the “big picture” and create architectural approaches for software design and implementation to guide the development team.
A great software architect has a strong technical background and excellent IT skills. They are experienced in designing and possess ability to develop a unified vision for software characteristics and functions.
The goal is to provide a framework for the development of a software or system that will result in high quality IT solutions.
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications
- Use tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and user interface of desired product
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Communicate successfully all concepts and guidelines to development team
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to developers and engineers
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Approve final product before launch
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as software architect
- Experience in software development and coding in various languages (C#, .NET, Java etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- Excellent knowledge of UML and other modeling methods
- Understanding of software quality assurance principles
- A technical mindset with great attention to detail
- High quality organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities
- MSc/MA in computer science, engineering or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Software Architect do?
Software architects make high-level design choices and technical standards to frame their software. They need a broad and deep knowledge of the technology they are designing to make decisions about what tools or coding styles will be most effective at implementing it.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Software Architect?
A software engineer will be responsible for collaborating with others to determine high-level requirements of new applications. They will contribute ideas towards creating representations of form and function of the user interface. They will also determine what programming languages are used in development. In addition, they will set up workflow practices across teams, developing different parts to maintain consistency throughout the development cycle. Lastly they will need to ensure that all the parameters required for the application are met and approve the final program prior to launch.
What makes a good Software Architect?
A Software Architect will have a strong background in IT. They should be very experienced in software design and have a keen ability to create a unified path to go from brainstorming to the finished product. Good teamwork and communication skills are also very important, as are excellent leadership skills.
Who does a Software Architect work with?
A Software Architect would report to either a Lead Architect or Software Development Manager. In a larger team setting, they would report to the Chief Software Engineer or Project Manager. A Software Architect may also work as an independent contractor.
Hiring Software Architect job description
Post this Software Architect job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.