SEO Analyst interview questions and answers
These sample SEO Analyst interview questions will help you identify qualified candidates for your open roles. Feel free to modify these questions to meet your specific needs.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
You can also source SEO professionals using Boolean Search cheatsheets.
SEO Analyst Interview Questions
SEO Analysts work with the Marketing department to optimize online content, ensuring maximum visibility and searchability.
Qualified candidates will be able to explain how they use keyword research to make content search engine-friendly. Solid knowledge of Google Analytics and relevant SEO tools like Moz, Keyword Planner and TubeMogul is required. Your ideal candidates should take their research one step further and analyze their findings, perform A/B tests and recommend the most effective SEO strategy for all content types.
For this position, it’s essential that potential hires are passionate about the field, follow SEO trends and try new tools. These people will help your company build and maintain strong online content.
Operational and Situational questions
- If you saw a significant drop in weekly rankings, what would you check first?
- What would you suggest to make our website more search engine-friendly?
- What would you say is more important: creating quality content or building effective backlinks?
- What steps would you take to move all of our content to a new domain?
- What data and reports do you collect from Google Analytics?
- What SEO tools do you use? Why?
- What are the first things you look for on a website to test if it’s search engine-friendly?
- Describe how you perform keyword research.
- What are the rules of effective link-building?
- What does it mean when a site has authority? Can you name one to two examples of such sites relevant to our industry?
- How do you learn about new tools that could help your work?
- Describe a time when you recommended a new strategy/approach that improved a company’s online content.
- Describe a SEO/SEM marketing campaign you worked on. What was your role and what were the results?
- Have you ever implemented a SEO strategy that failed? If yes, what was it, why did it fail and what would you do different?