You can also customize this template for specific types of Psychiatrists, such as Child Psychiatrist, Addiction Psychiatrist or Family Psychiatrist.
Psychiatrist responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and maintaining medical histories
- Analyzing patients’ emotional, behavioral and mental state
- Developing recovery plans
We are looking for a Psychiatrist to diagnose and treat mental illnesses.
What does a psychiatrist do?
The top responsibilities of a Psychiatrist include discussing with patients and observing their behaviors to identify mental disorders, determining treatments and prescribing medications. To be considered for this role, you need to be licensed as a Psychiatrist and certified from the American Board of Medical Specialists (ABMS).
Ultimately, you will help patients recover and improve their lives.
- Review patients’ medical history and collect additional information from family members and psychologists as needed
- Evaluate patients’ emotional, behavioral and mental state through discussion, observation and analysis
- Identify mental disorders and determine best treatments
- Develop therapy plans
- Prescribe medications
- Analyze medical tests and track patients’ progress
- Coordinate with healthcare professionals when hospitalization is required
- Advise patients on how to cope with mental diseases and emotional breakdowns
- Support patients’ loved ones and inform them about the patient’s condition
- Research medical issues and new medical treatments to update your knowledge on mental healthcare
- Work experience as a Psychiatrist
- In-depth knowledge of various psychotherapeutic methods
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain medical terms and conditions to a non-medical audience
- Strong observation skills to accurately evaluate patients’ demeanor and identify symptoms
- A great bedside manner and the ability to remain calm, empathetic and patient while interacting with patients who suffer from severe mental disorders
- Thoughtful and compassionate
- MD or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- Certification from the American Board of Medical Specialists (ABMS)
- Residency program in Psychiatry