Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Procurement Manager Interview Questions
Procurement Managers are responsible for buying goods for your company either for use or resale. They are responsible for closing the best purchasing deals for products and services on the market to minimize company procurement costs.
You may prefer candidates who have an academic background in finance or economics, as they’ll have to collect data, compare prices and perform market analysis. You can also focus on candidates who have previous experience with negotiating supplier contracts and coordinating supply chain procedures.
For this position, your candidates should demonstrate an ability to make quick decisions. Your ideal candidate can ‘read’ the market and suggest effective ways to reduce costs. If your Procurement Manager is leading a group of buyers, you should also include questions to assess your candidates’ team management skills.
Operational and Situational questions
- How do you perform market analysis? What tools do you use?
- What would make you search for a new supplier?
- What kind of supplier or third party management software have you experience working with?
- How do you ensure on time delivery of orders?
- If a supplier informs you that there will be a delay in their shipping, how would you deal with it?
- If a department wants to order equipment that’s beyond budget, what would you do?
- How do you evaluate product quality? If you receive a defective product, how do you handle it?
- Can you explain the purchasing process step-by-step?
- When choosing suppliers, what are the most crucial criteria to consider?
- What is a Qualified Products List (QPL)?
- Which are the key procurement metrics?
- How do you keep records of supplies?
- What is risk management?
- Are you familiar with warehouse safety regulations?
- Describe a time when a buyer was under-performing. What did you do?
- How do you resolve disagreements with suppliers? Give some examples.
- Describe a situation where you achieved a discount.
- Have you ever had to cancel a vendor contract? What happened?
- How do you grow your network of industry professionals, like suppliers?