Use this phlebotomist job description template to attract these healthcare technicians for your clinic, hospital, lab or health center. Modify the sample based on your needs.
Phlebotomist responsibilities and daily activities include:
- Identifying patients via ID, medical record or other means
- Drawing blood using needles and other equipment
- Labeling samples correctly and send them for testing
We are looking for a Phlebotomist to draw blood and other tissue or fluid from patients for testing, research or donations. This is a rewarding job since you help people stay healthy and you can sometimes help save their lives too.
One of the most important phlebotomist job duties is to properly identify patients and correctly use phlebotomy methods (e.g. venipuncture, skin puncture). We’ll rely on you to preserve patient health and quality of samples.
Phlebotomist job requirements
We’re looking for important phlebotomist skills such as presence of mind, people skills and attention to detail. You should have a diploma in phlebotomy and have knowledge of puncture techniques.
If you’re dedicated to your patients and have a firm but kind hand, we’d like to meet you.
- Arrange daily activities based on urgency of requests for fluid samples
- Identify patients and their personal information using their ID, documents or other means
- Determine the right venipuncture method based on patient age, health etc.
- Reassure patients and help them relax
- Find veins that are suitable for puncture
- Draw blood using sterilized needles, vials and other equipment
- Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples
- Label samples correctly and send or deliver them for testing
- Answer patient questions and provide useful information
- Keep accurate records on fluid specimens and tests
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working
- Help with blood transfusions when needed
- Proven experience as a Phlebotomist or Phlebotomy Technician
- Experience with effective puncture techniques
- Understanding of proper patient identification methods
- Knowledge of legal requirements about drawing blood, handling fluid samples and use of relevant medical equipment and material
- Ability to use computers to enter information
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to connect with various types of patients (such as children, elderly, pregnant women) and make them feel comfortable
- Patience and presence of mind
- Diploma in Phlebotomy or extensive on-the-job training
- Certification is a plus
Download our phlebotomist job description pdf sample.