Phlebotomist job description
Phlebotomists are medical professionals who work in medical labs, taking blood samples from patients and adequately labeling them with their information. They conduct a wide range of tests to identify underlying conditions to assist Doctors with diagnosis and patient care.
Use this phlebotomist job description template to attract these healthcare technicians for your clinic, hospital, lab or health center. Modify the sample based on your needs.
Phlebotomist responsibilities include:
- Identifying patients via ID, medical record or other means
- Drawing blood using needles and other equipment
- Labeling samples correctly and send them for testing
We are looking for a Phlebotomist to draw blood and other tissue or fluid from patients for testing, research or donations. The job of a phlebotomist is a rewarding one, since you help people stay healthy and even help save their lives.
One of the most important phlebotomist job duties is to properly identify patients and correctly use phlebotomy methods (e.g. venipuncture, skin puncture). We’ll rely on you to preserve patient health and quality of samples.
Phlebotomist job requirements
We’re looking for important phlebotomist skills such as presence of mind, people skills and attention to detail. You should have a diploma in phlebotomy and have knowledge of puncture techniques.
If you’re dedicated to your patients and have a firm but kind hand, we’d like to meet you.
- Arrange daily activities based on urgency of requests for fluid samples
- Identify patients and their personal information using their ID, documents or other means
- Determine the right venipuncture method based on patient age, health etc.
- Reassure patients and help them relax
- Find veins that are suitable for puncture
- Draw blood using sterilized needles, vials and other equipment
- Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples
- Label samples correctly and send or deliver them for testing
- Answer patient questions and provide useful information
- Keep accurate records on fluid specimens and tests
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working
- Help with blood transfusions when needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Phlebotomist or Phlebotomy Technician
- Experience with effective puncture techniques
- Understanding of proper patient identification methods
- Knowledge of legal requirements about drawing blood, handling fluid samples and use of relevant medical equipment and material
- Ability to use computers to enter information
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to connect with various types of patients (such as children, elderly, pregnant women) and make them feel comfortable
- Patience and presence of mind
- Diploma in Phlebotomy or extensive on-the-job training
- Certification is a plus
Download our phlebotomist job description pdf sample.
Frequently asked questions
What does a Phlebotomist do?
Phlebotomists take blood samples from patients and properly label them with their information lab test orders from doctors to do the tests correctly at any medical facility in America.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Phlebotomist?
The Phlebotomist’s primary concern is properly extracting blood from patients. Following that task, they accurately label the samples to send them to medical centers for testing.
What makes a good Phlebotomist?
A good Phlebotomist helps their patients feel at ease before getting their blood drawn. They’ll answer any questions or concerns that arise and thoroughly go over everything with the patient to ensure nothing goes wrong during the procedure.
Who does a Phlebotomist work with?
Phlebotomists work in clinical laboratories, hospitals and community health centers. A Healthcare Administrator usually supervises them to follow the best blood donation procedures.
Hiring Phlebotomist job description
Post this Phlebotomist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.