These Painter interview questions will help you look for important qualifications and skills in your candidates.
Painter Interview Questions
Painters (or house painters) are tradespeople who paint or decorate buildings and all kinds of surfaces. They usually acquire skills through completing an apprenticeship.
If you’re looking for an apprentice, focus on the soft skills that are needed to do this job. These skills include good communication, eye for detail and ability to follow instructions correctly. When interviewing more experienced painters, dedicate some time to evaluate their knowledge of material, tools and techniques as well as their experience in different settings (e.g. construction sites vs residencies). If you expect them to supervise apprentices, ask questions about their leadership and coaching skills. Respect to safety is always required.
Remember that every painting project is unique, so ask candidates situational questions to gain insight in how they’d react in different circumstances. The best candidates will be able to explain their reasoning, think of reasonable solutions and exhibit professionalism.
Operational and Situational questions
- What are the first things you do when you take up a painting job?
- How would you prepare a room for painting?
- When do you think it’s better to use an airless spray gun instead of a brush?
- How do you prevent lap marks?
- Imagine you’re halfway through a job and the client changes their mind about the color. How do you handle this?
- If you took up a project at a house that has lead paint, how should you prepare?
- How do you decide on the number of coats needed?
- How long have you been working as a painter?
- Are you comfortable with heights?
- What safety equipment is necessary for a painter?
- Painting can be a repetitive work. How do you maintain attention to detail?
- Do you use a particular brand of paint? Why?
- Are you familiar with PDCA standards?
- What do you use paint extender for?
- Share an example of a project you worked on that had excellent results
- Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone about a project
- Recall a time you provided excellent coaching to a co-worker
- Did you ever unwittingly neglected to follow one of the painting job’s specifications? What did you do to fix it?
- Were you ever reluctant to follow instructions? What did you do in the end?