This Nutritionist interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Nutritionist Interview Questions
The primary requirement for Nutritionist candidates is a Registered Dietician (RD) designation, which means that they’ve completed a four-year degree program and a relevant internship. RDs are also required to complete regular training to stay updated on industry knowledge and maintain their credentials.
When interviewing candidates for this position, it’s important to remember that nutritionists and dietitians work in a variety of settings. Nutritionists and dietitians are found in a variety of settings, such as clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and cafeterias. Some may even be self-employed and have their own practices. In addition, they might have a specialty, such as working with geriatric, diabetic, or HIV/AIDs populations.
For best results, tailor your questions to the exact function and work environment of the position. The most effective interview questions will be open-ended and situational. Pay close attention to the logical steps they take in creating a diet for a specific kind of client, as well as how clearly and effectively they explain their recommendations.
Operational and Situational questions
- Which populations are you most interested in advising?
- Do you prefer advising individuals, or groups?
- Describe your experience with home care.
- How often do you work with social workers?
- How often do you work with physicians?
- How would you advise a client to keep a food diary?
- What kind of diet would you prescribe to a patient who was trying to lose weight?
- What kind of diet would you prescribe for a patient who was trying to gain weight?
- Describe your experience with pre-natal nutrition.
- What dietary recommendations are important for geriatric populations?
- What dietary recommendations are important for vegetarians?
- What might differentiate the diet of a patient with Type 1 diabetes from the diet of a patient with Type 2 diabetes?
- How would you put together a diet for a 30-something male recently diagnosed with AIDS?
- As a nutritionist, who would you consider to be your customers?
- Being an educator is part of your job. What makes you a good teacher?
- Recall a time you resolved a problem with an unhappy customer. How did you handle it?