Find the best dietary aide interview questions to find the most suitable candidate. Adjust them to address your own requirements.
Dietary Aide Interview Questions
Dietary aides prepare and serve food according to instructions of a cook, dietician or physician depending on the facility. They work commonly in hospitals, clinics and healthcare homes.
Usually, you don’t need dietary aides to have a specific educational background although you may want at least a high school diploma in certain facilities. On-the-job training is possible so experience isn’t necessary in most cases. A food handler’s permit may be mandatory and a background check is common practice.
Your focus during the interview should be on their knowledge of hygiene and ability to follow instructions. Other skills include attention to detail, time-management and patience. Try to discover their customer service focus and interpersonal skills as well. The following questions can serve as a guide but add your own to address the requirements of your facility.
Operational and Situational questions
- Are you able to prepare basic meals? How would you rate your skills?
- How does a dietary aide ensure cleanliness and sanitation?
- What would you do with leftover food?
- How do you ensure that residents with dietary restrictions receive the correct serving?
- Do you think it’s important to communicate with residents as a dietary aide? Why?
- What do you think are common safety issues in a kitchen? What would you do to avoid them?
- Have you ever had to deal with difficult coworkers? How did you handle it?
- If a client started complaining about the food, what would you do?
- Imagine you don’t have information about a resident’s dietary requirements and they aren’t able to give you any. What do you do?
- If two other dietary aides didn’t show up for work and food had to be served as always, how would you handle it?
Pro tip: Remember to be clear about the physical demands of the position. You want candidates to know beforehand that they should have a good physical condition to fulfil their duties.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial