Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Leasing Consultant Interview Questions
Leasing consultants are responsible for all leasing activities from finding tenants to presenting properties to negotiating contracts and handling insurance or maintenance. They may be employed by landlords or real estate/rental agencies.
A leasing consultant’s background can be quite diverse. You may see candidates with a bachelor’s degree in real estate. Some may lack a degree but have experience in real estate or sales, while others may just be natural born salespeople whom you can train to excel in this role. It all depends on the position you’re hiring for. Make sure you’re aware of legislation as licensure requirements vary per location.
Leasing consultant’s should have all the skills of an excellent salesperson, e.g. being well organized, having negotiation and people skills, persuasion, presentation abilities and an aptitude in understanding customer requirements. In addition to those, they need knowledge of rental regulations and handling contracts or insurance. Use these questions as a guide in exploring those qualities in your candidates. The best among them will have current knowledge of the real estate market. They’ll also demonstrate awareness in who your company’s clients are and how to satisfy their requirements.
Operational and Situational questions
- How do you use social media to promote properties? What other advertising techniques do you use?
- What questions would you ask to evaluate a potential tenant’s requirements? What questions would you ask the property owner?
- How would you go about verifying a tenant’s application?
- Imagine a potential renter asks you a question about a property but you don’t know the answer. How do you handle this?
- If a property was burned or flooded, what would be your responsibilities?
- Which of your qualities make you a great salesperson?
- How do you keep up with trends in the real estate?
- What’s excellent customer service for a leasing consultant?
- How do you use technology to organize your work?
- What kind of lodges/properties have you dealt with in the past?
- How do you handle overlapping deadlines?
- Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical problem. What did you do in the end?
- Recall a time when you had to mediate a dispute between property owner and their tenant. What was your role and how did you help the situation?
- Describe the most difficult sale you had to make. Why was it difficult and how did you close it?
- Tell me about a time you persuaded a renter to renew their lease