Use these sample Email Marketing Manager interview questions to identify qualified candidates. Modify these questions to fit with your job requirements.
Email Marketing Manager Interview Questions
Email Marketing Managers generate sales and increase customer engagement through effective email marketing campaigns.
Opt for candidates who can manage advertising projects end-to-end. They should have previous experience in integrating email campaigns into larger marketing strategies (e.g. producing newsletters to reach targeted audiences.) Look for candidates who are familiar with your industry, as they’re more likely to understand your needs. Don’t be quick to reject experienced professionals who come from other fields, as they can contribute to your company’s success with innovative ideas.
During your interviews, ask candidates about projects they were involved in to learn more about their way of working. Test candidates for their knowledge of Google Analytics and marketing automation tools. Your potential hires should also have strong copywriting skills and familiarity with Content Management Systems.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would you suggest to increase our number of newsletter subscribers?
- What’s the best way to ensure our emails don’t end up in the spam folder?
- We’d like to email past customers who haven’t purchased anything with us for a while. What would you include to pique their interest in this email?
- Based on our products/services, what kind of audience do you think we could approach with an email campaign? Why?
- You find out that a competitor disparages our products to promote their own. How should our Marketing department respond to this tactic?
- We are about to launch a new product/service. List two to three email subject lines that might flop and two to three ones that may be effective.
- What are the characteristics of a mobile-friendly email?
- What email metrics do you monitor? Which is more insightful: open rate or click-through rate? Why?
- What information do you get from the time-on-page metric for emails?
- What email tracking tools do you know/use?
- How do you figure out optimal days and times to send sales emails?
- How do you proofread content for clarity and accuracy?
- Which Google Analytics reports are the most useful? Why?
- How do you stay up-to-date with the latest software?
- What do you dislike about sales-pitch emails you receive as a potential customer? Why?
- Have you run A/B tests in past projects? What have you learned from them?
- Describe your most successful email marketing project so far. What was your role and what were the results?
- Have you ever participated in a marketing campaign that failed? If so, what went wrong and what would you do differently?