Use this Director of Content Marketing job description template to advertise open roles for your company. Be sure to modify requirements and duties based on the unique needs of the role you’re hiring for.
What is a Director of Content Marketing?
A Director of Content Marketing is a leadership role within the marketing department, focused on creating and implementing a strategic approach to content. This role involves understanding the target audience deeply and crafting a content strategy that resonates with them throughout their customer journey. The director ensures that the content not only engages and educates the audience but also supports the company’s broader marketing and business objectives.
What does a Director of Content Marketing do?
A Director of Content Marketing leads the content marketing efforts by overseeing the creation, execution, and measurement of a diverse range of content. They manage a team of content creators, collaborate with various departments to produce relevant content, and utilize various formats and distribution channels. Their primary goal is to create compelling content that enhances brand presence, drives customer engagement, and contributes to revenue growth.
Director of Content Marketing responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a comprehensive content strategy.
- Leading and managing a team of content creators.
- Collaborating with marketing, sales, and product teams.
- Measuring and analyzing content’s impact on business goals.
We are seeking a Director of Content Marketing to lead our strategic content planning and execution. In this pivotal role, you’ll build and guide a team of content creators to develop engaging content across various channels. Your expertise in understanding customer motivations, coupled with your ability to measure content’s influence on business goals, will be crucial.
You’ll work closely with different teams to create compelling content and build a community of fans. If you’re passionate about storytelling and have a track record in content strategy and team leadership, join us in driving our content to new heights.
- Develop a deep understanding of customers and prospects to motivate them.
- Create a content strategy framework for quarterly and monthly plans.
- Lead a team of content creators and collaborate with marketing, sales, and account management teams.
- Measure content’s influence on pipeline generation and business growth.
- Work with Demand Generation and Sales Development teams for content support in campaigns.
- Partner with Product Marketing for customer-engaging content.
- Master various content formats and distribution channels.
- Build a community and develop content for events and webinars.
- Manage website content sections and ensure SEO best practices.
Requirements and skills
- 7+ years of marketing experience, preferably in content or product marketing.
- Strong commitment to engaging and delighting customers.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in all content formats, including video and podcasting.
- Knowledge of content distribution and measurement.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments.
- Familiarity with martech and analytics tools (HubSpot, Hootsuite, Salesforce, Google Analytics).
- Strong SEO skills.
- Bonus for experience in SaaS/tech.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Director of Content Marketing?
- Their responsibilities include creating a content strategy, managing a team of content creators, collaborating with other departments, and measuring the impact of content on business objectives.
- What makes a good Director of Content Marketing?
- A good Director of Content Marketing has a strategic mindset, strong leadership skills, expertise in content creation and distribution, and the ability to measure content's business impact.
- Who does a Director of Content Marketing work with?
- They work with marketing, sales, product teams, content creators, and external partners to develop and distribute content that aligns with the company's goals.
- How does a Director of Content Marketing impact business growth?
- They drive business growth by creating content that engages customers, enhances brand presence, supports sales and marketing initiatives, and contributes to revenue generation through effective storytelling and strategic content distribution.
- What does a Director of Content Marketing do?
- A Director of Content Marketing develops and executes a content strategy, leads a content team, and aligns content initiatives with business goals to drive customer engagement and growth.