Make sure that you are interviewing the best delivery drivers. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Delivery Driver Interview Questions
Delivery Drivers are found in a few different settings. The basics more or less stay the same. First, you’ll want to see a clean driving record. Then, if you require drivers to use their own (reliable) vehicle, you’ll want to see valid insurance. Best practices include running a drug test as well as a background check.
Required skills will differ depending on the exact work environment. If you’re hiring a delivery driver for a restaurant, you’ll need cash handling and customer service experience. If you’re looking for a freight truck driver, you’ll need a specialty license and a driving test, just to verify their skills. A warehouse or package delivery driver may need to have some familiarity with barcoding materials, or know how to operate a forklift.
For these reasons, it’s best to add your own questions tailored to specific job requirements. Nevertheless, these open-ended and situational questions should give you a headstart. These questions will help you evaluate the extent of your candidates’ proven professional driving experience.
Operational and Situational questions
Professional Driving Questions
- Why are you interested in working as a driver for our company?
- How much experience do you have as a professional delivery driver?
- Describe a time you accidentally gave a coworker incorrect information. How did you resolve it?
- What would you do if you were not responsible for a traffic violation, but were pulled over by a police officer?
- What would you do if you got into a car accident during a delivery?
- How well do you know this area?
Hospitality Industry Questions
- How much cash handling experience do you have?
- How would you handle a customer who is upset about a late delivery?
- A customer gave you $20.00 to pay their $12.67 bill. How much change should they receive?
Transportation and Logistics Industry Questions
- What kinds of long-haul equipment have you used?
- How do you maintain good communication with dispatchers and schedulers?
- How do you feel about a slip-seating setup?
- Has anyone ever suspected you of falsifying your driver’s logs?
- How do you stay focused when you’re on the road for long periods of time?