Cosmetologist Interview Questions
Cosmetologists work in a beauty salons, hairdressing studios and other venues. Their duties range from hairdressing to skin care to nail services. Depending on the size or the organization, different educational requirements may apply. Usually, they have diplomas from vocational schools or training programs.
If you’re looking for a junior position, ask them about their education and the skills they have gained. It may be a good idea to ask whether they have a portfolio with work they have done so far. You can ask about their experience in sales too. For experienced candidates look for years in the business as well as the setting in which they have gained experience. If you expect them to do esthetic work, a license may be mandatory depending on the state. Ask also about their experience in sales.
Cosmetologists should demonstrate their work on their own person. They should be presentable and stylish. Social and customer service skills are very important in their profession as well as patience and attention to detail. Try to assess their skills through situational or behavioral questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- How has your experience/training prepared you for this role?
- What do you find exciting in this job?
- What’s your experience in manicure/pedicure?
- How do you stay up-to-date with fashion and beauty trends?
- What cosmetic products do you use and why?
- Do you provide beauty services for special occasions (e.g. weddings)?
- How much time do you need to do a haircut?
- How do you decide how to style the hair of a client who’s indecisive?
- What questions would you ask to find the suitable skincare product for a client?
- Imagine a client isn’t happy with your services and threatens to complain to management. How do you respond?
- How do you ensure your workstation is clean?
- Describe a time you persuaded a client to buy a product you recommended
- Have you worked in a team before? Did that help or hinder your work?