Ask these sample Contract Administrator interview questions during your hiring process to evaluate and select qualified candidates for your open roles.
Contract Administrator Interview Questions
Contract Administrators prepare, negotiate and review company contracts, like sales, purchases, employment and business partnerships.
It’s crucial to hire a Contract Administrator who’s trustworthy and has a keen eye for details. Even small mistakes in contracts can put your company at risk. Include an assignment in your hiring process to assess candidates’ skills in reviewing contracts and spotting mistakes.
Although not required, potential hires with legal certification will stand out. Depending on your industry, focus your interview questions on your needs. Test candidates’ knowledge of related legislation. Ideal candidates should be able to explain legal requirements and analyze potential risks of specific contract terms.
Operational and Situational questions
- You spot a mistake in a contract that we’ve used for a long time, but bringing it up means our company will have to pay a fine. What would you do?
- How would you search for a 10-year-old contract in a digital database if you didn’t know the file name?
- How would you ensure both digital and physical contracts remain confidential?
- How would you handle a situation where an employee or business partner doesn’t honor a contract agreement with us?
- What’s the best way to organize physical records of contracts?
- How do you file updates to contracts?
- How do you keep track of deadlines (e.g. when each contract needs to be signed and submitted?)
- How do you prioritize your workload when you have many contracts to review?
- How do you stay up-to-date with legislative changes in this field?
- Describe a time when you had to explain complex contract terms to your managers. How did you ensure they complied with all requirements?
- What’s your experience with negotiating contract terms? How do you make sure that the interested parties reach an agreement?
- Have you ever missed a deadline? If so, what happened and how did you inform your manager or client?
- Describe a time when you had to monitor future expenditures of a contract. How did you do it?