Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Business Analyst Interview Questions
Business Analysts help companies adapt to change, identify problematic areas and improve their performance. They analyze a company’s strengths and weaknesses and suggest technological solutions that help companies run more efficiently.
You ideal candidates should have solid knowledge of quality assurance systems and modeling techniques. You should also look for candidates with exceptional analytical skills who can explain technical details to a non-technical audience. Keep an eye out for candidates who understand your company’s needs and how your industry operates.
For a Business Analyst position, look for a background in Computer Science combined with experience in Business Administration. Ask candidates questions that gauge skills in requirements analysis, documentation and testing. Situational interview questions will help you understand the candidate’s way of thinking and identify potential employees who can provide creative solutions.
Operational and Situational questions
- What kind of documents would you create to describe our sales process?
- How would you manage frequent changes in user requirements?
- How would you persuade a reluctant manager to follow your suggestions?
- How would you approach a problem with limited resources?
- What is a flowchart and how it is useful?
- What is a System Requirement Document (SRD)?
- How do you make a use case model effective?
- Can you explain what Software as a Service (SaaS) is?
- How would you use personas to explain user behavior?
- What is the user centered design methodology?
- What modeling technique would you choose to visualize our relationships with customers, and why?
- Tell me about a time you delivered a cost-reducing solution. What was it?
- What’s an effective use-case model you created and why did it work?
- Describe a time you had to deal with conflicts on a team. What did you do?
- Have you ever suggested a solution that failed? What did you learn from that experience?
Source and recruit skilled Business Analysts with Workable’s Boolean search cheat sheets.