This Advertising Account Executive interview profile provides a balanced sample of suitable interview questions. These interview questions for should be modified to fit your company’s advertising goals and requirements. Similar job titles include Advertising Executive, Advertising Account Manager, Advertising Manager, Advertising Sales Executive and Major Account Executive.
Additionally, you can use this advertising account executive job description on your careers page and job boards to find the most qualified candidates.
Advertising Account Manager Interview Questions
The Advertising Account Manager role is above all, a creative role, and in these interviews you’ll be looking for what can’t be trained. The best account executives are creative, curious, and thrive on hustle. Listen for situations where they went above and beyond to meet a deadline or please a client. Listen to how they describe their own campaigns. This is what will help you find the spark you need for your team.
The responsibilities for this position will differ from agency to agency. In some firms, this is an entry level role. Other firms will want candidates with lots of hands-on experience and a solid grasp of marketing and advertising techniques. The following advertising and sales questions assume that you need the latter. Because some industry knowledge can be feigned, these questions are designed to help you reveal the extent of their practical experience. Previous customer-facing experience is especially desirable. The field of advertising is increasingly technical, so if knowledge of CRMs or marketing automation is a huge plus for you, be sure to add some questions about that.
Finally, listen closely to the questions your candidates ask. Great candidates will have done their homework and will be familiar with your brand, competitors, and customers. Prepared questions are good, but spontaneous questions are even better.
For a role more focused on business development, see our Account Executive interview questions.
- What brands inspire you? Why do you think their campaigns are effective?
- How do current trends in the advertising industry inform your work?
- Which of our clients would you like to work with? Why?
- What sets us apart from our competitors?
- Describe the clients you’re working with now. Are they B2B? B2C?
- Describe a time you had to sell something.
- What would you consider your most creative work in this field?
- How do you prioritize your workload with multiple clients?
- Describe a time your client disagreed with the marketing strategy. How did you handle it?
- What systems have you used to stay on budget with your projects?
- How would you rate yourself on meeting deadlines?
- How does your current team handle reporting and analytics?
- Talk about some integrated campaigns you’ve worked on. Which channels did you use and why?
- What is your experience with offline channels? How have you integrated them with online channels?
- Describe a time you worked with a team towards a shared goal.