Make sure that you are interviewing the best Travel agent candidates. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Travel Agent Interview Questions
The most promising candidates for the position of travel agent combine a passion for travel with a talent for sales and customer service. These individuals are communicative, detail-oriented, and resourceful. They have a true desire to help and work hard to build long-term relationships with satisfied customers.
If you’re looking for an entry level candidate that you can train, focus more on customer service and sales questions. At a basic level, you’ll want talkative candidates who are skilled at negotiation and problem-solving. Situational questions that focus on troubleshooting problems are useful for screening these kinds of candidates.
The following interview questions presuppose that you’re looking for a travel agent with proven work experience. These questions address common on-the-job tasks and situations and can only be answered by a professional with this specific work experience. The candidates you want to hire will treat their interview like a sales call. They’ll want to find out your pain points and will propose some solutions.
Operational and Situational questions
- What excites you about being a travel agent?
- How has your work experience prepared you for this position?
- How do you feel about working in sales?
- What would you differently if you saw that you weren’t meeting sales goals?
- How much, in percentages, do you book for air travel, hotels, and cars?
- Rank your air travel, hotel, and car bookings by volume. What do you book most?
- What GDS systems have you used before?
- How do you find the lowest fees for your client?
- You’re on the phone with an angry customer. How do you calm them down?
- What kinds of questions would you ask a walk-in client?
- What would you do if your customer couldn’t afford the package you suggested?
- Describe a time you impressed a customer. What did you do, and what did you learn from that experience?
- Describe your approach to planning a complex itinerary.