Use these sample Tax Accountant interview questions as part of your hiring process to assess candidates’ financial and accounting skills.
Tax Accountant Interview Questions
Tax Accountants coordinate the payment of obligations and tax returns on an accurate and timely basis. They also keep records of financial data and forecast tax obligations.
When hiring for this role, look for candidates with bookkeeping experience along with an Accounting degree. Although not required, additional certification, like a CMA or CPA, is a plus. They’re indicators of professionals who are genuinely interested in their industry. Individuals who attend conferences and seminars, follow accounting forums and stay up-to-date on world and economic news are committed to the field.
During your interviews, test how your candidates approach regular tasks: Are they methodical? Do they keep organized records? How do they check their work for accuracy? Opt for people who pay attention to details and meet deadlines. Your ideal candidates will not only “get the job done” but also identify tax-saving opportunities.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would you do if you received a B-Notice on behalf of your client?
- What information would you use to create a forecasting report for next year’s tax returns?
- You thought the deadline for tax payment submission was in a month, but it’s actually in a week. How would you handle this?
- How would you inform your manager that your company needs to pay a fine because you weren’t aware of a regulatory change?
- What accounting software are you familiar with?
- What monthly and annual reports do you create?
- What information do you need to submit a 1096? What’s different when you e-file a 1099?
- What is an IRS Backup Withholding Notice?
- How do you avoid numerical errors in your reports?
- What attracted you to tax accounting versus other fields, like forensic or auditing?
- How do you stay on top of regulatory changes?
- How do you keep up to date on global economic issues?
- Describe a time you saved your client/employer money.
- Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma at work? If so, how did you manage it?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial