These staff accountant interview questions are directly sourced from real hiring managers and they are ready to use.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best staff accountant candidates. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
7 good staff accountant interview questions
- What do you do to ensure accounting accuracy?
- If you’re doing a physical inventory account and you find a big difference, what do you do?
- What documentation do you use when sending invoices?
- How have you ensured accuracy in your work?
- How do you manage multiple tasks when an important deadline is approaching?
- What was your favorite high school course?
- Are you comfortable using technology on the job?
Here are 7 essential interview questions with sample answers to help you identify the best candidates for this role.
1. What do you do to ensure accounting accuracy?
Ensuring accuracy is fundamental in accounting.
“I consistently double-check my entries and use accounting software that has built-in error detection. Additionally, I stay updated with accounting standards and guidelines to ensure compliance.”
2. If you’re doing a physical inventory account and you find a big difference, what do you do?
Handling discrepancies is a common challenge in accounting.
“I would first recheck the count. If the discrepancy remains, I’d review recent transactions, check for documentation errors, and consult with the inventory team to identify any potential oversights.”
3. What documentation do you use when sending invoices?
Proper documentation ensures clarity in transactions.
“I use detailed invoices that include item descriptions, quantities, prices, terms of payment, and the client’s purchase order number. I also attach any supporting documents, like delivery receipts or contracts, for reference.”
4. How have you ensured accuracy in your work?
Accuracy is paramount in accounting roles.
“I always reconcile accounts regularly, use automated tools for error detection, and maintain a checklist for monthly closing processes to ensure no steps are missed.”
5. How do you manage multiple tasks when an important deadline is approaching?
Time management skills are crucial in accounting roles.
“I prioritize tasks based on their urgency and importance. I also break down larger tasks into manageable steps and set specific milestones. If needed, I’ll seek assistance or delegate to ensure timely completion.”
6. What was your favorite high school course?
This question provides insight into a candidate’s background and interests.
“I enjoyed Mathematics the most. It challenged me to think critically and solve problems, skills I use daily as an accountant.”
7. Are you comfortable using technology on the job?
Modern accounting relies heavily on technology.
“Absolutely. I’m proficient in various accounting software like QuickBooks and Excel. I believe leveraging technology streamlines processes and enhances accuracy.”
What does a good Staff Accountant candidate look like?
A strong Staff Accountant candidate should have a keen eye for detail, be well-versed in accounting principles, and possess excellent analytical skills. They should be comfortable using accounting software and have a proactive approach to problem-solving. Good communication skills, both written and verbal, are also essential to convey financial information clearly.
Beware of candidates who lack a systematic approach to tasks or are unfamiliar with basic accounting software. A reluctance to adapt to new technology or methods can also be concerning. Additionally, if a candidate seems unsure about basic accounting principles or lacks problem-solving skills, they might not be the right fit.