Use this Service Writer job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.Service Writers need to explain customers’ needs to staff to ensure proper vehicle maintenance is performed as needed. Service Writers also schedule appointments, process orders, monitor delivery and handle customer complaints.
Service Writer responsibilities include:
- Developing strong customer relationships through successful management of customer needs
- Maintaining computerized customer profile information
- Monitoring customer records to check for regular scheduled servicing and future work
We are looking for a Service Writer to join our team and act as our liaison for customers to address their vehicle repair needs.
A Service Writer’s responsibilities include documenting the repairs needed and scheduling appropriate technicians for each job in our computer system.
Ultimately, you will ensure that the needs of our customers are met, coordinate transactions and estimate both time & costs to ensure everything runs smoothly for our customers.
- Develop cost estimates, logging needed parts and the time needed for repairs
- Schedule the most appropriate Service Technician for each job
- Convey all necessary information regarding costs, parts, work and Technicians to customers
- Call the customer to arrange appointments
- Meet with customers to discuss their requirements and relay those requirements to the Service Technicians
- Contact customers in the case of additional work to relay the details and extra costs
- Enter the details of repair jobs on the company’s network and prepare repair instructions
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Service Writer or similar role
- Computer literacy and knowledge of office software programs
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Strong record-keeping skills
- The ability to understand and relate technical issues to the service team from customers’ non-technical descriptions
- A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Service Writer do?
- A Service Writer uses their knowledge and expertise to help clients solve problems with their vehicles in various ways, like scheduling appointments for customers and handling customer complaints or questions.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Service Writer?
- Service Writers need to explain customers’ needs to staff to ensure proper vehicle maintenance is performed as needed. Service Writers also schedule appointments, process orders, monitor delivery and handle customer complaints.
- What makes a good Service Writer?
- A Service Writer needs to have excellent customer service skills since they work directly with customers. In addition, they need to understand technology to document customer requests and schedule appointments as needed throughout the day.
- Who does a Service Writer work with?
- Service Writers typically work alone when answering customer questions, but they work with Auto Mechanics to ensure the customers’ needs can be met.