This Senior .NET Developer interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions. Consider modifying these .NET developer interview questions to suit your company’s specific needs and upcoming projects.
Senior .NET Developer Interview Questions
In some respects even the most technical role demands qualities common to strong candidates for all positions: the willingness to learn; qualified skills; passion for the job.
Even college performance, while it helps you to assess formal education, doesn’t give a complete picture. This is not to underplay the importance of a solid background in computer science. These interview questions for a .NET developer can help you gauge their competency in computer science:
• Understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
• Discuss basic algorithms, how would they find/think/sort
• Can they show a wider understanding of databases
• Do they have an approach to modelling?
Consider these senior developer interview questions when determining their investment in the industry. Do they stay up to date with the latest developments? If so, how? Probe for their favorite technical books. Who are they following on Twitter, which blogs do they turn to?
Are they active on Github? Do they contribute to any open source software projects? Or take part in Hackathons. In short, how strong is their intellectual interest in their chosen field? How is this demonstrated? Ask for side projects (like game development). Committed, inquisitive candidates will stand out.
Computer Science questions
- What does a Just in Time compiler has to offer? Do you know of any programming language runtimes that use one?
- How is a preemptive threading model different from the cooperative threading model?
- What tools & practices would you consider necessary for a Continuous Delivery solution?
- How is a code point related to a code unit in Unicode?
- What do you think makes a unit test good? What about functional ones?
- How does MSIL (intermediate language) fit into the whole .NET framework architecture?
- What do you mean by polymorphism, inheritance and encapsulation?
- What is the await keyword? Describe a use case and the needed code modifications in order to use it.
- How can lazy initialization be accomplished in .NET?
- Please explain the “virtual” keyword
- Why would you declare a field as volatile?
- What is the Entity Framework and what are the benefits of using it?
- What is Reflection in .NET? Please describe a use case and the benefits of using it.
- What is the dynamic type in .NET? Please describe a use case.
- What do we mean when we say that a certain Lambda expression forms a closure?
- How are anonymous classes instantiated in .NET? Can they be passed as function params?
- In LINQ, what is the difference between the IQueryable and IEnumerable interface?
- What are the benefits of using the Aggregate method in LINQ?
- Is it possible in .NET to extend a class (any class) with some extra methods? If yes, how can it be accomplished?
- In .NET, attributes are a method of associating declarative information with C# code. Please describe the way they are used and a proper use case.