Use this Retail Clerk job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
Retail Clerk responsibilities include:
- Assisting customers with the selection of merchandise
- Greeting, interacting and monitoring customers to help the store in loss prevention
- Displaying and organizing products in a store for the customers to locate easily
We are looking for a Retail Clerk to join our team to ensure that customers have a satisfactory shopping experience and help customers check out after choosing the items they need from the store.
A Retail Clerk’s responsibilities include tending to the shopping needs of customers and answering any questions they might ask about products in-store or online before completing transactions with them.
Ultimately, you will work directly with clients and help them find items they need and process their purchases promptly.
- Listen to customers to gain a thorough understanding of what they need
- Make tailored recommendations based on customer needs
- Examine the sales floor to ensure merchandise is well-stocked, well-maintained and properly rotated
- Process, check and stock inventory to ensure deliveries are correct and of good quality
- Provide exemplary customer service throughout the shift
- Process business transactions, handle cash, process debit/credit cards and perform returns or exchanges
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Retail Clerk or similar role
- Ability to perform basic math, writing and reading tasks without supervision
- Ability to comfortably stand for extended periods of time
- A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Retail Clerk do?
A Retail Clerk is the first person a customer finds to answer questions or process a purchase from the store.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Retail Clerk?
A Retail Clerk’s responsibilities vary by store. Still, they typically include accepting payments from customers at a register, stocking shelves and answering customer questions about products in the store.
What makes a good Retail Clerk?
A good Retail Clerk must have an eye for what people need and multitask so they can accomplish several responsibilities at once. They must also have interpersonal skills like patience to work directly with customers.
Who does a Retail Clerk work with?
A Retail Clerk typically works with a group of other Clerks in the store to accomplish various tasks. They are supervised by the Store Manager, who assigns tasks and sets schedules for the Retail Clerks.